The Art of Painting conference

“The Art of Painting in the 21st Century,” an annual conference, will be returning to Davis on March 8, bringing with it a slew of discussions, panels and lectures by some of the greatest visionaries of the field. Lecturers will include Glen Brill, Kelly Detweiler, F. Scott Hess and — perhaps most excitingly — John Seed, art writer for The Huffington Post.

When asked about Seed’s work, John Natsoulas, curator of the exhibition and director of the conference, shared his opinion.

“More people are reading him [Seed] than The New York Times. He has the pulse of American art,” he said.

According to the official press release, the conference is “geared [toward] nurturing dialog on contemporary painting and the shared ideas define current trends in the field.”

The conference also seeks to encourage outreach in the art world, as many painters work alone in a solitary process.

“[The conference] is an opportunity for the university to become involved in the art world. We’re not seeing this much anymore, as this is the only painting conference in California,” Natsoulas said.

The conference will take place on March 8 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with several receptions at the John Natsoulas Gallery. More educational events will take place on March 9 during the same hours. To learn more about the conference and purchase passes, please visit natsoulas.com. And if you need more incentive to go, Natsoulas has you covered.

“The first twenty UC Davis students that email us will receive free passes to the conference,” Natsoulas said.

– Brett Bunge