News in Brief: Armed robbery chase ends in arrests at UC Davis

On Friday at around 2:15 a.m., the Davis Police received a call about an armed robbery at Fifth and L streets.

Police determined the suspect had displayed a handgun to two victims. The suspect took the victims’ property and fled in a vehicle. The victims obtained a description and partial license plate of the vehicle.

At around 2:40 a.m., the Davis Police noticed a matching vehicle going westbound on I-80 from Mace Boulevard. The police attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver did not stop, leading the police on a chase through the UC Davis campus.

The driver stopped at the 200 block of A Street and a male passenger fled from the vehicle. Officers took the driver, 25-year-old Sunnie Robertson of Woodland, into custody.

The UC Davis Police and a CHP helicopter assisted the Davis Police in the search for the male passenger. An officer spotted a male riding a bicycle in the area and attempted to stop him. The male biked away and was able to temporarily evade officers.

Officers eventually spotted the suspect and chased him on foot. A Davis Police K9 officer and his partner apprehended the suspect, 27-year-old Brian McDonald of Woodland, near the Social Sciences and Humanities building on campus.

The Davis Police press release said Robertson was booked at Yolo County Jail for robbery, felony, evasion of a peace officer and committing a felony while on bail. McDonald was booked at Yolo County Jail for robbery, felony evasion of a peace officer and resisting arrest.

— Claire Tan