Arts Week

FILM
Yolo County Film Society Screening: Aguirre, The Wrath of God
Sunday, 7 p.m., recommended donation $2, all ages
Yolo Pleasure Dome, 1401 Pole Line Road
YCFS screens Werner Herzog’s classic film, featuring his first collaboration with mercurial lead actor Klaus Kinski. The plot concerns Lope de Aguirre, a doomed 16th-century conquistador whose thirst for riches drives his expedition deep into the Amazon jungle. Filled with unbelievable imagery shot on a stolen camera, Aguirre is a spellbinding work that launched a unique director into the international spotlight.

MUSIC
University and Alumni Choruses & UC Davis Symphony Orchestra
Sunday, 7 p.m., $8 student, $12-17 regular
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center
D. Kern Holoman conducts The Dream of Gerontius (1900), an orchestral and choral work featuring almost 200 performers in total. The music was composed around a poem that told the story of a pious man’s journey after death into the afterlife. The event is presented in the memory of Marya Welch, a longtime patron and benefactor of the UC Davis symphony orchestra.

Zapato Viejo and Viramundo
Thursday, 7:30 p.m., free, all ages
Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.
Local band Zapato Viejo will play an eclectic blend of pan-Latin-American-influenced music, both traditional and contemporary. The band will be joined by Viramundo, purveyors of samba and other Brazilian styles.

ART/GALLERY
D.R. Wagner at Poetry Night Reading Series
Thursday, 8 p.m., free, all ages
John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
Prolific local poet, musician and visual artist D.R. Wagner performs at the Natsoulas gallery downtown in conjunction with the Poetry Night Reading Series, overseen by Dr. Andy Jones. Wagner has published over 20 books of poetry and is a prominent figure in the California art community, along with being a design lecturer at UC Davis. Attendees are encouraged to arrive early and sign up for the open mic list.

THEATRE
Improvised Shakespeare Company
Tuesday, 8 p.m., $10-25 student, $20-50 regular
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center
The Chicago-based Improvised Shakespeare Company returns to Davis for a night of entirely original performance comedy. Formed in 2005, the ISC has honed the very particular art of fabricating an entire Shakespeare play replete with period language, duels and declarations of love, all based on a single suggestion from “the gods” (the audience). Each performance is made up on the spot and entertainment is served in the moment.

FLASH: A New Choreography
Thursday to Saturday and March 14 to 16 at 8 p.m.; Sunday and March 17 at 2 p.m.
$12-14 student, $17-19 regular
Wright Hall Main Theatre
Nigerian-born choreographer Qudus Onikeku presents a new dance choreography FLASH, described as an exploration of memory, identity and exile set within a fusion of styles, including hip-hop, capoeira and the Nigerian masquerade. The event will be preceded by a Q&A session with Onikeku and Halifu Osumare, director of African-American and African studies at UC Davis.

Birdstrike Goes to the Movies!
Friday, 8 p.m., $3
1100 Social Science Building
UC Davis’ Birdstrike Theatre ends the quarter right with a film-inspired show incorporating both its usual improv and the addition of video sketches, which have been prepared all quarter for Friday’s audience. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.

— Andrew Russell