News in Brief: Davis resident arrested for hate crime

On March 14, 19-year-old Clayton Garzon of Davis was arrested for a hate crime that occurred on March 10.

According to a Davis Police press release, Garzon was booked at the Yolo County Jail on charges of assault causing great bodily injury, committing a hate crime, assault with a deadly weapon, stalking, committing a felony while on release from custody and inflicting bodily injury during the commission of a felony. At the time, he was released from Solano County Jail pending other felony charges.

Garzon was later released from the Yolo County Jail after posting a $75,000 bail. He will be arraigned on April 12 at the Yolo Superior Court.

On March 10, Davis resident Mikey Partida was leaving a house party at the 300 block of I Street when Garzon approached Partida and began a physical altercation, yelling homophobic slurs. Partida was transported to the UC Davis Medical Center. Currently, he is going through therapy at the Sacramento acute rehabilitation facility.

According to witnesses’ statements, the motive for the attack may have stemmed partially from the victim’s sexual orientation.

The Davis Police cannot release additional information at this time.

On Saturday, a candlelight vigil was held at Central Park for Partida. According to The Davis Enterprise, an estimated 300 people attended.

Additionally, the city’s Human Relations Commission will discuss the hate crime at its March 28 meeting.

In accordance with the incident, today at noon on the Quad, there will be an action event to bring awareness to the issue.

— Claire Tan