This Week in Science

*Editor’s note: This is a new section of the science page. Every week, we will publish the top seven (according to us) most fascinating science breakthroughs that we don’t have space to write articles about.

A study published last week showed that the fossil-fuel industry has been subsidized by nearly $2 trillion in 2012. Trillion with a “T.” And the United States was responsible for $509 billion of that amount.

NASA just released a study showing that nuclear power has prevented more deaths than it has caused.

Engineers are upgrading the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to make it even more powerful. The upgrades will double the strength of the world’s most powerful particle accelerator. They hope to be able to finally produce dark matter.

A study released by the American Chemical Society has just shown that solar panels have finally reached the tipping point — that is, they finally produce more energy than it takes to manufacture them.

The Los Alamos National Laboratory alleges they have unraveled how HIV attacks the body. This could potentially open up a whole new realm of treatments and possible cures.

An extract from a Chinese tree that has been used for generations to cure hangovers has finally been converted to pill form. It has the added ability of preventing you from getting drunk, no matter how much you drink.

A recent study from researchers at the Imperial College of London has shown that feline urine acts as an aphrodisiac for multiple species of rats and mice, and might even affect humans.