News in Brief: Northern California Performance Platform

On Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in Wright Hall, professors, graduate students and arts practitioners from all around Northern California will gather to engage in dialogue and performances relating to urgent conceptual and practical issues at play in performance studies for the annual Northern California Performance Platform.

This year’s platform, involving participants from several university campuses across the San Francisco Bay Area, is centered on the theme “Performance and Crisis.”

The day will consist of a morning keynote panel discussion, afternoon workshops and panels dealing with questions of crisis in performance and methodology, followed by an evening of performances.

Performances and workshops by professors and graduate students will take place in the Main Theater. The first performance will discuss issues relating to apocalypse, the second will be an exploration of the nature of consumption and consumerism via images, narratives and performative moments and the third will be side-by-side performances exploring the formation of identity.

The platform’s success at Stanford last spring prompted the event to be hosted at UC Davis this year.

For more information on the Performance Platform, visit performancestudies.ucdavis.edu.

CRISTINA FRIES can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.