Editorial: Pull up a stool

There have been some rumors circulating recently that there will be a new pub opening at UC Davis. We just want you all to know that this is, in fact, true, and it will be located in the East Wing of the Memorial Union where the Post Office is currently located. Soon, instead of sending a letter to a loved one, you can drink the pain away like a true adult.

While many of the Aggie staff members are thrilled to have a bar so close by — even Hemingway said to write drunk and edit sober — we had a few questions about some of the important details of the new pub.

Looking at the popularity of the current pub on campus, Gunrock Pub, we have to ask ourselves: Will anyone actually go to a bar on campus? We think yes. It will just be harder and harder to find time for all these classes between beer breaks.

Will the new pub be open on weekends? That would be nice. It would take some of the crowds away from the ruckus of downtown. Who will perform at the entertainment venue? Will there also be live music on the outdoor patio where we can soak in the sun while we sip on the suds?

There should definitely be an 18-and-over trivia night. Just make sure that you don’t give any embarrassing answers in front of your hot TA.

In all seriousness, however, a pub on campus would be a great resource for students who are looking for a study spot slightly more lively than the 24-Hour Room. The pub could play soul music, while the 24-Hour Room only sucks out your soul.

There are a few other semi-important questions that need to be answered before the pub opens, such as how to prevent minors from drinking. Where will the financing come from, and where will the profits go? Will there be pub food, and who will be making it? Can Professor Charlie Bamforth create a new Aggie beer for us? And of course, most importantly, will the basement dwellers get a discount?

We just hope that no one will try to sing karaoke while we are trying to study.