Arts Week

MUSIC
Folk Music Jam Session
Friday, May 10, noon, free
Wyatt Deck, UC Davis Arboretum

Bring your acoustic instruments, fiddles, guitars, banjos, mandolins, squeeze boxes, etc. to play during the lunch hour. All skill levels are welcomed, and listeners are invited. This event happens almost every Friday.

Left Coast Chamber Ensemble
Saturday, May 11, 2 p.m., $20/$8
Vanderhoef Studio Theatre, Mondavi Center
The UC Davis Department of Music presents Left Coast Chamber Ensemble, made up of Jerry Simas on the clarinet, Anna Presler on the violin, Tanya Tomkins on the cello and Eric Zivian on the piano.

Curtis 20/21 Ensemble
Sunday, May 12, 2 p.m., $38/$19

The Mondavi Center presents Curtis 20/21 featuring Curtis President and violist Roberto Diaz and Curtis students. The ensemble is the Curtis Institute of Music’s contemporary music ensemble. The group offers a different look at works that continually maintain the ability to surprise audiences.

POETRY
Poetry Reading Thursday
Thursday, May 9, 7:30 p.m., free
Logos Books, 513 Second Street

This is the last poetry evening of the Quinton Duval Poetry Series this year. Katherine Hastings and Iris Jamahl Dunkle will read, and attendees can purchase books and poetry collections signed by the authors at the end of the evening. Light refreshments will be served, and there will be an opportunity to chat with the poets and other guests.

ART/GALLERY
2nd Friday ArtAbout
Friday, May 10, 5 to 9 p.m., free
Downtown Davis

This monthly evening features open galleries and artists’ receptions at businesses, galleries and other art-friendly locations in Downtown Davis. Events occur year-round, are free and are open to the public. Many of the venues include receptions, refreshments and opportunities to meet artists. The schedule of the evening can be found at davisdowntown.com.

DANCE
Les 7 Doigts de la Main
Sunday, May 12, 3 p.m., $49/$24.50
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center

Les 7 Doigts de la Main (The Seven Fingers of the Hand) presents PSY, a performance that delves into the underworld of the human psyche. Psychological issues are contrasted with circus arts language to bring out the humor, beauty and commonality of various disorders. The power of the individual to rise above problems is featured while characters find strength, courage and joy, all while flying through the air.

OTHER
Author event: A Troublesome Subject: The Art of Robert Arneson
Thursday, May 9, 4 p.m.
Nelson Gallery

A Troublesome Subject: The Art of Robert Arneson by Jonathan Fineberg is the focus of Thursday evening’s lecture, book signing by the author and reception at the Nelson Gallery. Copies of the book will be available for purchase.

— Elizabeth Orpina