Arts Week

FILM
13th Annual UC Davis Film Festival
Thursday, May 23, 8:30 p.m., $7 per night
The Varsity Theatre, 616 Second St.

Student films selected by UC Davis faculty will be featured on the big screen during the second night of the annual festival. The short films include a broad range of subjects, styles and genres and celebrate the creativity and talent of undergraduates and graduates. While awards will be awarded to best films, audience members can participate in a free raffle held in the Varsity Theatre lobby.

MUSIC
Michael Fabiano, tenor, and John Churchwell, piano
Thursday, May 23, 8 p.m., $17.50/$29 student and $35/$58 regular
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center

Considered one of the most important young voices in opera today, Fabiano has gained global critical acclaim for his commanding stage presence and captivating voice. With John Churchwell accompanying him on the piano, the pair will perform in the Mondavi Center’s Jackson Hall.

Radiation City
Friday, May 24, 9:30 p.m., $7, 21 and over
Sophia’s Thai Kitchen 129 E St.

Radiation City, now touring the country for the release of their new album, earned its reputation as one of the most promising acts coming from Portland, Ore. With influences like Beach House, Flaming Lips, The Beach Boys and Starfucker, this feel-good band’s expanding landscape of new romanticism has caught the attention of folks at NPR and Time.

The Golden Ghosts
Saturday, May 25, 9:30 p.m., $5, 21 and over
Sophia’s Thai Kitchen 129 E St.

This high-energy band brings a classical sensibility and fresh vitality to rock and roll, while drifting between different themes and musical landscapes. Having toured around the U.S., The Golden Ghosts gain musical influences from experiences on the road and the strange characters that they have encountered. The Golden Ghosts now make a stop in Davis, playing in the open patio of Sophia’s Thai Kitchen.

Jordan’s Beard
Wednesday, May 29, 12 p.m., free
UC Davis Quad

Come see Jordan’s Beard, a local Davis band playing a fusion of funk-rock, reggae and hip-hop on the UC Davis Quad. This is the third in the ASUCD Entertainment Council’s series of music performances in the Quad; the series will continue with Alicia Murphy the first week of June. Drop by after class or during lunch to be entertained by these energetic musicians.

Seamoose
Friday, May 24, 10:30 p.m.
Our House, 808 Second St.
Saturday, May 25, 6:30 p.m.
Sudwerk Brewery Dock Store, 2001 Second St.

Enjoy two nights of grooving to this Davis funk band, a local favorite, for their reunion and album release shows. This is likely their last performance in Davis for a long time, so don’t miss out. On Friday, May 24, they will be joined by Big Sticky Mess, a local funk band, and they will play with Tha Dirt Feelin’ at Sudwerk Brewery Dock Store on Saturday, May 25.

THEATER
Dogs of War
Thursday, May 23 to Sunday, May 26, 8 p.m., suggested $5 donation
Wyatt Pavillion

This adaptation of several of Shakespeare’s texts depicts the often cut scenes and characters to examine the representations of war. Directed by Ph.D. candidate in performance studies Josy Miller, the play draws from Shakespeare’s Wars of the Roses plays and uses Renaissance style in a contemporary framework for its production design.

Bullshot Crummand
Friday, May 24, 7 p.m., free
The Davis Art Center Outdoor Stage, 1919 F St.

Acme Theater Company presents a comedy involving a clash between two arch rivals — a tale that evolves into plot twists and mayhem. Enjoy free comedy in the park for the Memorial Day weekend.

OTHER
Author Event: Sylvia’s Secret
Friday, May 24, 7:30 p.m., free
The Avid Reader, 617 Second St.

Local author of the literary mystery novel Scott Evans discusses his latest work. This fictional murder mystery story weaves in historical information about Sylvia Plath’s schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and death to create a dark, intriguing plot.

— Cristina Fries