Wednesday, May 8, 2024

News in Brief: UC Davis’ studio art MFA students host art show reception May 23

On May 23, UC Davis’ Master of Fine Arts studio art candidates will host the annual first-year studio art show reception. The event, which takes place in the old Nelson Gallery offices in the Art Building, launches the student-work exhibition that runs through June 4.

MFA is a small and interdisciplinary art graduate program that is made up of artists working across mediums and topics. Every year, the MFA program puts on this exhibition in hopes that it will serve as a more official introduction to both the school and the surrounding community.

For many of these students, the exhibition serves as the first opportunity to showcase work in the public eye. This year’s show is entitled “Past Reservations” and incorporates works by prospective Master of Fine Arts candidates Brett Davis, Jamie Dunn, Rachel Gelenius, Jacob Greenlund, Daniel Harano, Alyssa Lempesis and Joyce Nojima.

Additionally, the showcase is the first step toward a Graduate Exhibition, which MFA students Charlotte Semmes and Christine Tao will present this year in a separate show that runs through June 6.

“Past Reservations” will present research and creative projects that the candidates explored this year, documenting the theoretical framework and methodology that went into them.

The reception takes place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the old Nelson Gallery offices in the Art Building with refreshments donated by Whole Foods. Gallery hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

— Larissa Murray