Mayor Krovoza honors Teach for America members

On May 29, Mayor Joe Krovoza will recognize Teach for America (TFA) members in an exclusive reception. It is an RSVP only event at Odd Fellows Hall in Downtown Davis during the evening.

The event is a send off for UC Davis students who are joining TFA in the fall, said Kayla Ruben, a spokesperson for TFA.

“They will be welcomed by the mayor, who will address them in a short speech congratulating them on their achievement and wishing them luck in the corps,” Ruben said. “The mayor and corps members will also be joined by Teach For America staff from the Sacramento region and beyond, Sacramento and Bay Area corps members and UC Davis staff and faculty whose support played a huge role in Teach For America’s on-campus success this year.”

The mayor’s daughter will also be joining TFA in the fall and will be teaching in Nashville, said Kristen Casaretto from TFA.

According to a press release, UC Davis had the fourth highest application numbers in the UC system and the third highest application growth in the nation. This year, 37 UC Davis students are participating, which is an increase from 2012 when 27 students joined. Members will teach all over the country.

Ruben said the event brings together the mayor, TFA alumni, regional partners and the 2013 TFA corps members from UC Davis to celebrate a common force that unites these individuals — a desire to end educational inequity in this country.

— Paayal Zaveri