Team of the Quarter: Women’s Golf

As three-time defending Big West champions heading into this season, the women’s golf team happens to be one of the most successful teams at UC Davis. With results come expectations, and the Aggies had a lot of expectations for this season.

Despite this pressure, the women’s golf team delivered once again. Winning a fourth consecutive Big West Championship, the Aggies exerted their dominance on the field. Ranked 17th in the country at the end of the year, UC Davis excelled in tournaments throughout the season.

The Aggies claimed numerous awards and gained recognition this season for their outstanding play. Senior Demi Runas won the Big West Player of the Year award as well as being recognized as a second-team All-American. Also, freshman Andrea Wong won the Big West Freshman of the Year award. Altogether, the Aggies had five players win awards this season.

The team played well in the Big West championships as they shot a team score of five-over 881 for the week. This score beat the second-place Long Beach State by a massive 29 strokes.

Riding the momentum from their win in the Big West championships, the Aggies went to Oklahoma to play in the NCAA regionals. They finished sixth in the competition and clinched the top-eight finish needed to reach NCAA nationals.

The Aggies’ journey through post-season play ended in the NCAA nationals as they finished 16th overall. However, this was UC Davis’ best finishing ever at the event.

The future is bright for the Aggies, as they are returning six players next season. While the two seniors, Demi Runas and Amy Simanton, were anchors for the UC Davis team, the Aggies still have plenty of talent. The success of the team throughout the season makes it the Team of the Quarter.

— Kenneth Ling