Wednesday, March 27, 2024

The Nelson Gallery to implement new teaching resource

The Richard L. Nelson Gallery, established in 1976 and currently located in Nelson Hall, is in the process of creating a new teaching and learning space that it will be implementing in fall of 2013. The space will utilize the Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art, also located in Nelson Hall.

According to Robin Bernhard, the Nelson Gallery’s Art Collection Manager, the new space is designed to “incorporat[e] an experimental and flexible space into the existing Nelson Gallery that will be dedicated to research, course instruction and special projects in all fields and disciplines across campus.”

The classes are to be a direct collaboration between participants and the Gallery’s Permanent Collection. Also known as the Fine Arts Collection, it houses 5,000 objects that historically range from antiquities to contemporary art, according to Bernnhard. Classes that take full advantage of the collection will get priority class reservation for the project space.

Along with the incredible selection of pieces of art, instructors and classes will also have access to “classroom meeting space, equipment (i.e. projectors), display space, preparatory and installation assistance, lecture space, meeting space, performance space, chairs [and] tables,” Bernhard said.

Students, teaching fellows, researchers and faculty members can book the space for classes, along with already established university courses making reservations. The ideal class size is 25 or less. They can utilize the space for a one-time event, regular meetings or a quarter-long session.

In order to introduce the project space to the community, the Nelson Gallery will hosting monthly events such as tours, performances, lectures or new project openings, starting Oct. 24.

Bernhard is now reviewing classes for fall 2013. For more information, or to inquire about class reservations, contact her at (530) 752-3775 or rlbernhard@ucdavis.edu.

— Tanya Azari