Shocking details emerge during double homicide hearing

At the preliminary hearing on Sept. 13, it was revealed that Daniel William Marsh confessed to the double homicide of elderly Davis residents. After an hourlong hearing in the Yolo Superior Court, Marsh was ordered to stand trial for the April 13 murders of Oliver Northup, 87, and Claudia Maupin, 76.

Four witnesses were called to the stand at the preliminary hearing: Yolo County Chief Deputy Coroner Gina Moya, Davis Police Officer Mark Hermann, Davis Police Detective Ariel Pineda and Davis Police Officer Francisco Talavera.

According to the Davis Enterprise, Yolo County Chief Deputy Coroner Gina Moya testified that both victims suffered dozens of stab wounds, 67 for Maupin and 61 for Northup, in addition to being eviscerated.

Details also emerged about the night the victims were found. Officer Mark Hermann, who was on patrol the night of April 14, found a cut window screen where Marsh had entered the couple’s Cowell Boulevard home. Hermann first saw the couple’s bodies through their bedroom window.

According to Detective Ariel Pineda, who carried out Marsh’s interrogation, Marsh was questioned by the police on June 17, where he initially denied involvement with the murders. However, after Pineda played a recording of a phone call between two other people that implicated Marsh in the crime, the teenager’s denials ended. Marsh also revealed that he had years of homicidal urges.

Pineda said Marsh admitted that the killings gave him a “high” for a few days and Marsh admitted to trying to kill again.

Northup and Maupin’s friends and relatives filled the courtroom during the preliminary hearing.

According to the Davis Enterprise, Marsh’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Ronald Johnson, did not cross-examine any of the four witnesses or call any of his own witnesses.

Yolo County Judge Timothy Fall set Marsh’s arraignment for Sept. 24. Marsh has pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder with enhancements for using a knife and special circumstances including multiple murders, lying in wait and torture. Additionally, Marsh is being tried as an adult and faces life in prison if  he is convicted.

—Paayal Zaveri