New restaurants open in Davis

This fall, Davis will welcome a number of new restaurants. These include new Davis branches of CREAM and The Melt, along with new locations for the familiar Beach Hut Deli and Common Grounds Coffee.

CREAM, standing for “Cookies Rule Everything Around Me,” is a famous ice cream and cookie shop originally located in Berkeley. The hours are noon to midnight on Mondays through Wednesdays, noon to 2 a.m. on Thursdays through Saturdays and noon to 11 p.m. on Sundays.

The Davis CREAM had its grand opening on Sept. 21 and handed out free CREAM ice cream sandwiches from noon to 8 p.m.

There are 18 ice cream flavors and 10 different types of cookies in order to make an ice cream sandwich of one’s choosing.

“I believe the triple chocolate chip cookie with mint chip ice cream will be a popular menu item,” said manager Eric Tu.

CREAM is located downtown on F Street, right across from Regal Cinemas Davis Holiday 6.

The Melt sells sandwiches, soups and desserts. Known to be a grilled cheese sandwich shop, this will be a place where people can sit and eat in or order their food to-go via an account online. The Melt will be opening in November in the Davis Commons next to The Habit Burger and Jamba Juice.

“It’s a good place for college students because the menu is straightforward and simple,” said Sophia Kim, a third-year clinical nutrition major, who has tried their Berkeley branch. “It’s a good place to go for lunch, and it will [provide] warm comfort food for the customers.”

Along with these new restaurants, there will be old favorites — Beach Hut Deli and Common Grounds Coffee are reopening in their respective new locations.

Beach Hut Deli was previously located downtown on E Street, but closed in June due to its relocation. Its new location is on Second Street and Mace Boulevard, right across Target.

“The sandwiches are huge and tasty at a reasonable price,” said Crystal Baik, a third-year communication major. “The idea of it being a little shack at a beach setting is cute; they really put a lot of thought into the decor.”

Known for its wide array of selections for freshly made sandwiches, Beach Hut Deli will be reopening its doors in November.

Common Grounds Coffee is another Davis favorite that has been around for 12 years, but closed in April due to the landlord refusing to renew their lease. Son Chong, the owner of Common Grounds, managed to receive a new lease right next door to its previous location in Oakshade Commons. The old location is now a pet store.

“Due to the community’s support we were able to move back in,” Chong said. “First and foremost, thank you for bringing us back here.”

Common Grounds has upgraded its menu by incorporating grilled cheese sandwiches, panini sandwiches, soups and cookies from Cookie Connection. They will now be able to take orders for larger groups such as clubs, fraternities and other organizations for events. Pour-over coffees and high-end teas will be available as well.

“[There is] a similar menu except bigger,” Chong said. “We will incorporate more things into it, and the prices will be affordable.”

There will also be a selection of beer and wine for customers, which means the hours will be extended and they will be open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Before it closed, Common Grounds was a place where people in Davis came to socialize and study. Chong intends to create that same ambience for its new location, this time with new furniture and an outdoor patio. During the grand opening in October, all 12-ounce drinks will be $1.

Common Grounds aims to reopen in late September but its grand opening will be toward the end of October. During this grand opening, Common Grounds, Dos Coyotes, Teabo and Mr. Pickles in the Oakshade Town Center will have an event in which people can come listen to music and enter to win great prizes for a night of fun.

TAMMY LEE can be reached at city@theaggie.org.