News in Brief: Change of Pace Foundation’s annual Oktobrewfest race on Oct. 12

The Oktobrewfest Race, hosted by Davis-based A Change of Pace Foundation, will take place on Oct. 12 at Central Park, on the corner of F Street and Covell Boulevard. Both the 5K and 10K course start at 6 p.m. The event is sponsored by local brewery Sudwerk.

While most people who enter the race are from the greater Sacramento region and the Bay Area, some entrants come from as far as Los Angeles, Arizona and New York state.

Last year, UC Davis was represented in the men’s 10K, 20 to 25 age category by UC Davis alumnus Mark Pepin, who came in first with a time of 32:41.40. Pepin described the event as very inclusive and welcoming of the student population.

“It is not a PR [personal record] race … it’s a great course, scenery-wise, and it is a fun way to stay in shape,” Pepin said. “It’s nice to get off campus.”

Interested participants can register online or in person at Fleet Feet Sports on Second Street. Entry fees increase as the date approaches the race so early registration is advised.

According to Trenton Yackzan and Caleb Weeks, brewers at Sudwerk, 1,500 beers were distributed at the finish line last year, which is equivalent to 12 kegs.

“[We were] pouring and handing out beers nonstop until it was all gone,” Weeks said.

Yackzan and Weeks said that this year they will serve three varieties of beers: Northern Pilsner (a light lager), Marzen Amber Lager (a traditional Oktoberfest beer) and California Dry Hop Lager, their new flagship beer.

All finishers who are over 21 will receive a complimentary beer for participating. For those underage, there will be other treats such as free snow cones.

Entry fees, registration and further information can be found online at changeofpace.com/oktobrewfest.

— Valentina Nakic