Men’s tennis seeks to continue success

Event: ITA Northwest Tournament

Where: Timothy Korth Tennis Complex, Moraga, Calif.

When: Friday Oct. 18, Saturday Oct. 19, Sunday Oct. 20

Who To Watch:

Sophomore Brett Bacharach won the flight B singles main draw in Santa Barbara in the UCSB Classic on Oct. 11 to 14. He defeated Sasha Gryaznov of UC Santa Barbara 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 in the final on Gryaznov’s home court for the title.

This result comes on the heels of a semi-final run that Bacharach made in the consolation bracket of the Aggie singles draw during the Aggie Invitational played in Davis on Oct. 4 to 6. Bacharach lost only one set during his run to the UCSB title, but head coach Eric Steidlmayer expects even more from the talented sophomore.

“He didn’t play great, but still won an event he should win,” said coach Steidlmayer.

The talent matches the expectations in Bacharach’s case, and now the results are beginning to shine through as well. Bacharach will have to step his game even more for the ITA Northwest tournament starting on Oct. 18 in Moraga, Calif.

Did You Know:

In the UCSB Classic, the Aggies have won a combined three championships, with one main singles title, one main draw doubles title and a consolation singles title as well. Besides Brett Bacharach’s impressive flight B singles title, sophomore Adam Levie and freshman Alec Adamson combined to win the flight A doubles title. Senior Adam Luba paired with freshman Bryce McKelvie were victorious in the flight B doubles consolation championship.

“Brett is looking like one of the most-improved guys,” coach Steidlmayer said. “And Levie has improved as well. Winning a flight A doubles; that’s noticeable”.

Steidlmayer was quick to compliment his other players as well, mentioning that the entire team has shown great improvement since the start of the season. Backing up that assertion are the results of freshman James Wade, who finished in third place in the flight A singles draw, and that of the doubles pairing of seniors Kyle Miller and Parker Kelly who finished in seventh place in the flight B doubles draw.

Preview:

The ITA Northwest tournament is a premier tennis tourney. It features not only the Aggies, but a number of established and highly successful California programs including California, Stanford, St. Mary’s and USF among others. Other notable out-of-state schools competing in the tournament are Washington, Oregon and Portland.

“All [the] teams are solid,” commented coach Steidlmayer. “You see all the levels and where you [as a program] want to go.”

The Aggies will enter into the tournament with a fair amount of confidence after the strong showing in Santa Barbara. This is an amazing opportunity for the players to showcase their skills against top-tier opponents in the idyllic setting of Moraga. Coach Steidlmayer shares the enthusiasm and anticipation.

“We can upset some people and get some good individual wins within the tournament,” coach Steidlmayer said. “Certainly some [UC Davis] guys can make a run”.

The Aggies will look to build on their successes in the UCSB Classic to try and make inroads at the ITA Northwest. A second consecutive strong showing could vault the Aggies to a sensational rest of the season.

— Vic Anderson