Halloween events near Davis attract community

During the month of October, various Halloween-themed events in and around the City of Davis are popular among students and community members. The Aggie has profiled some of the most popular activities below.

Dixon Corn Maze

The annual Dixon Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze, known as “Cool Patch Pumpkins,” is one of the season’s most popular activities.

“This is the largest corn maze in the world, right here in Dixon,” said Matt Cooley, owner of Cool Patch Pumpkins. “It’s amazing to get lost in a corn field.”

Fifty-three acres of land are used solely for the wary maze-travelers and those trying to find the perfect pumpkin. Additionally, they host the Scarecrow Contest, and winners will get cash prizes and special privileges. Only 11 minutes away from Davis by car, this giant attraction draws in crowds from all over California.

Cool Patch Pumpkins will close at the start of November.

Haunted houses

A little to the north, at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Roseville, is the Callson Manor Haunted House. According to its website, they claim to be the most extreme Haunted House theme park in Sacramento.

A Haunted Tavern, Slasher Café, Asylum, Ghost town, Fire Show and Zombie Paintball are full of actors whose only job is to frighten and excite the expectant visitors. They will close on the day of Halloween.

Another classic and scare-inducing event to behold this Halloween season is The Haunted Fort — part of Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park, in Sacramento. Visitors will be led on guided tours through dimly-lit pioneer corridors.

“The event is meant to tell the bizarre, peculiar and creepy, but true tales of early Sacramento. They revolve around the Fort and could explain some of the reports of odd happenings and sightings at the Fort over the years,” said Lisa Mealoy, the executive director of Friends of Sutter’s Fort, in an email.

City of Davis events

There are also a variety of local events happening with support from the City of Davis.

“Everyone of all ages is coming down to celebrate. It’s all about community,” said Nina Gatewood, the marketing director and event coordinator for downtown Davis.

On Oct. 31 from 2 to 4:30 p.m., the City of Davis will host the Davis Downtown’s Annual Treat Trail, in which kids can trick-or-treat and receive candy from the small businesses of Davis.

“[This event is] to support the community and encourage people to come downtown to support small businesses, and small businesses give back in return,” Gatewood said.

The Varsity Theatre will be showing “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” for free on Oct. 31 at 2 p.m., 2:35 p.m., 3:10 p.m. and 3:45 p.m.

“I can’t wait to see Charlie Brown at the Varsity! It was one of my favorites as a kid,” said Kelly Lima, a fourth-year biology major.

The Dia de Los Muertos Celebration in the City of Davis will span a great chunk of the downtown area on Oct. 31. The “Day of the Dead” (in translation) is an important holiday in Hispanic cultures, honoring family and friends and their deceased loved ones. Downtown Davis will celebrate this culture with traditional art, music, poetry and dancing in several different forums.

“El Dia de los Muertos was a huge success last year. It is more of a mature, educational celebration of the Hispanic holiday, tied in with Halloween to let people know about storytelling and family; people tend to like the artistic aspect,” Gatewood said.

Over 21 events

For those over 21 looking to have a wild and crazy Halloween, there are several club events happening in Sacramento the weekend of Oct. 25 to 27.

The Exotic Halloween Ball on Oct. 26 at Cal Expo is themed “Las Vegas Nightclub” and will feature Nick Cannon, Pop Rocks and other performers, with a glow party room and go-go dancers.

The Sacramento Sexy Costumes and Masquerade Ball on Oct. 25 at the Hilton Hotel Arden West is put on by the Professionals Guild as a way for residents of the surrounding Sacramento area to cut loose for the night. Prizes are given out for the best costumes.

The Vampire Ball is a more gothic celebration in Roseville at the Placer County Fairgrounds on Oct. 26, with the theme “Dark Shadows.” Inside this movie portrayal, patrons can experience a vampire interaction with actors, burlesque dancers, carnival foods, drinks and a huge dance floor.

1. […] Halloween events near Davis attract community A Haunted Tavern, Slasher Café, Asylum, Ghost town, Fire Show and Zombie Paintball are full of actors whose only job is to frighten and excite the expectant visitors. They will close on the day of Halloween. Another classic and … They revolve around … Read more on The Aggie […]