Aggies place third at SCVB Pacific Invitational

On Nov. 2, UC Davis men’s golf team ended its fall season with the SCVB Pacific Invitational in Stockton, Calif. With its season-high rank the Aggies are ending the season strongly. Ranked No. 50 by Golfweek and No. 61 by GolfState, UC Davis men’s golf team made its second straight top-three finish, finishing third at the Invitational.

In the first round, the Aggies were paired with Kansas State and Charlotte. Senior Matt Hansen was tied for second among the players with his 3-under 68. Three other Aggies, sophomore Ben Corfee, junior Mike Brockington and sophomore Luke Vivolo, shot 72 on the day and tied for 18th. With the Aggies’ impressive opening, the team ended the first round in second place out of 12 teams.

On the second day of the tournament, the Aggies continued their good form. Corfee, who shot a 3-under 68 and carded five birdies in the back nine, jumped into a tie for 10th. Hansen again played strong in this round, shooting a 69 which moved him into fifth place.

Vivolo shot 71 in the second round and was tied for 23rd. Also, both senior Jonny Baxter and junior Mike Brockington shot a 73 and tied for 29th and 38th respectively. The UC Davis men’s golf team placed third in the second round.

In the last round of the SCVB Pacific Invitational, Hansen had another impressive round. With shooting three birdies in a row and picking up an eagle on the second hole, Hansen had a 3-under 68 and finished in a tie for second in the players’ standings.

UC Davis men’s golf team had its best round of the tournament in its third round, because it shot a 10-under 274 for the second best team score of the day, and this great performance led the Aggies to a third place finish at the tournament.

UC Davis men’s golf team will return to competition in February and has its first tournament in Hawai’i at the Amer Ari Invitational.