News From Around the World

Fatal shooting at LAX Airport

Suspected Los Angeles International Airport shooter Paul Ciancia charged with two felony offenses: the murder of federal officer Gerardo Hernandez, and commission of violence in an international airport that occurred on Nov. 1. Cianca could potentially face the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted. Representative McCaul stated that a better coordination between TSA officers and local law enforcements at these airports could help improve security at these locations.

South Korean President claims a summit with Japan would be ‘pointless’

President Park Geun-Hye says South Korea’s ties with Japan are complicated due to Tokyo’s refusal to apologize for Japan’s past wrongdoings in Korea. Japan would be a crucial ally with the efforts of reining in North Korea’s nuclear agenda. Park suggested that a summit with the Japanese prime minister would be pointless due to the current strain in Seoul-Tokyo relations. South Korea’s current and future ties with Japan remain difficult in the midst of the international community wanting to build a consensus dealing with North Korea’s nuclear ambitions.

Senate votes on workplace bias against gays

The Senate voted to pass a bill outlawing workplace discrimination against gay men, lesbians, bisexual people and transgender people on Nov. 4. This vote came four months after the Supreme Court invalidated a federal ban on recognizing same-sex marriages. The vote marks the first time since 1996 that the full Senate considered a measure to extend federal nondiscrimination law to gay, lesbian and bisexual people. It is also the first time that Congress has voted on a nondiscrimination bill that includes transgender people.

Egyptian cabinet minister pleads for a restraint between the government and the Muslim Brotherhood

Egyptian cabinet minister Ziad Bahaa el-Din proposed a new and calm political framework between the Egyptian government and the Muslim Brotherhood. His plea created an uproar and received criticism from both sides because Egypt is unwilling to compromise with the fight against the Islamists, and vice versa. Pro-military columnists claim that Bahaa el-Din undermines the government, while anti-government activists question his service with officials who ordered the worst mass killings in recent Egyptian history.

1,500 lost masterpieces discovered in Germany

An estimated amount of 1,500 priceless paintings, including works by Picasso and Matisse, were discovered in a flat in Munich. These masterpieces were stolen and hidden by the Nazis, and were found in an apartment belonging to the octogenarian son of art collector Hildebrand Gurlitt, who bought them during the 1930s and 1940s. The paintings have been searched for for 75 years, and were hidden inside the apartment in hand-built shelves. The works are estimated to be worth $1.3 billion in today’s market.

— Tammy Lee