News in Brief: Frat house arson attempt investigation continues

The Davis Police are still investigating an arson attempt at a West Davis fraternity house, Kappa Sigma, on Nov. 3. The arson fire was set around 1 a.m. on Sunday according to Lt. Glen Glasgow of the Davis Police Department (DPD).

An unknown suspect or suspects started a natural gas leak and set fire to the house, located at 642 Adams St. According to Glasgow, the incident looks like a deliberate attempt to harm. No one was injured in the incident.

An online police log states that someone had turned on all the stove burners in the kitchen and then lit a fire in the bathroom.

Residents at the house found the remnants of the fire and detected the smell of gas around 1 a.m. but police were called to the scene around 1 p.m. Glasgow said the DPD doesn’t suspect any malicious intent behind the delay.

The DPD has called in the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to aid with the investigation and is working with the UC Davis police and fire departments. Suspects and motives are still unknown.

“We are continuing to investigate by interviewing people to try and identify a person of interest or suspect,” Glasgow said.

Around 15 people live at the fraternity house, but about 45 were there Saturday night and Sunday morning due to a party hosted by the fraternity.

The fraternity released a statement on Nov. 4 on their Facebook page about the incident.

“We are very fortunate and grateful that there were no serious injuries or fatalities, and that the house itself is fine,” the statement said. “The brothers would like to thank everyone who has shown and offered their support; you don’t know how much it means to us.”

The house is located in a neighborhood with many multi-family apartments.

“It’s a very serious incident and could have been disastrous if it had come to fruition,” said Keith Sterling, director of media relations for UC Davis. “We have gone to meet with the sororities and fraternities to hear their concerns and offer them resources [to deal with the incident].”

Anyone with information regarding this incident should contact the DPD at (530) 747-5400.

— Paayal Zaveri