News in Brief: Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts

On Nov. 14 at 7 p.m., the UC Davis Fil Am community will host a dialogue to discuss relief efforts for those in the Philippines affected by Typhoon Haiyan and the Bohol earthquake. The event will take place at the Student Community Center (SCC) in Meeting Room D.

Monetary donations are accepted at the Student Recruitment and Retention Center in the SCC and will be given to the National Alliance for Filipino Concerns, an organization that works closely with grassroots relief organizations to ensure funds go straight to the community. Material donations, including but not limited to non-perishable food that doesn’t require water, electricity or can openers, basic medicine and first-aid kit supplies, candles and blankets, are also encouraged, although BRIDGE Community Mentorship and Advocacy Coordinator Robyn Huey encourages monetary contributions.

“The best way to help the situation is through monetary donations, because currently material donations are hard to deliver due to shut-down roads,” Huey said. “We ask that people spread awareness of the situation and continue to stay updated.”

Contact Huey at rfhuey@ucdavis.edu if you or anyone you know is hosting events to raise money for typhoon relief.

—Elizabeth Orpina