Women Volleyball Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. UC Santa Babara;  vs. Cal Poly

Record: Aggies 14-11 (6-6); Gauchos 13-9 (8-2); Mustangs 10-13 (4-6)

Where: The Pavilion — Davis, Calif.

When: Thursday, Nov. 14; Saturday, Nov. 16

Despite an initial 2-0 match lead, UC Davis fell to UC Irvine in a five-set game. The Aggies ended their road trip with two losses, against Long Beach State and UC Irvine respectively. UC Davis now returns home for a pair of conference games against UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly.

The Aggies started their road trip on a three game winning streak and took their good form of play to Long Beach State. Junior opposite Mary Schroeder posted her career-high 20 kills and middle blocker Victoria Lee had a .464 hitting average against the 49ers.

The Aggies held leads in the first and second sets, but they lost their leads and eventually the sets, by two-point margins in each. Although the Aggies fought back and took the third set, the 49ers were solid in the fourth set and came out with a victory.

The Aggies attempted to bounce back from the loss against Long Beach State in their matchup against UC Irvine. Led by senior opposite Devon Damelio, who tallied 14 kills against the Anteaters, the Aggies took the first two sets.

However, the Aggies did not take advantage of their lead and fell in three consecutive sets. This game marked the seventh time the Aggies have lost in five sets this season.

UC Davis now hosts UC Santa Barbara on Thursday, Nov. 14 followed by Cal Poly on Saturday, Nov. 16.

It is the second time the Aggies have matched up with these two teams this season. UC Santa Barbara continues their good form and are ranked No. 2 in the conference with a 13-9 overall record and 8-2 conference record.

The Cal Poly Mustangs look forward to bouncing back after consecutive losses to UC Santa Barbara and Hawai’i. UC Davis defeated Cal Poly in the last game with a 3-1 victory. The past victory against the Mustangs can give the Aggies the momentum they need to win on Nov. 16.

UC Davis is currently 14-11 overall this sesaon and their conference record is 6-6.

— Janet Zeng