News in Brief: UC Davis Baroque Ensemble to perform at Mondavi

The UC Davis Baroque Ensemble will be performing in the Yocha Dehe Grand Lobby in the Mondavi Center Dec. 5 at 12 p.m.

The ensemble will be performing Vivaldi’s Concerto in A Minor for Two Violins, which will feature soloists Michael Sand and Jolán Friedhoff, Handel’s selected Opera Arias and Purcell’s Scene from King Arthur, which will feature tenor Jonathan Nadel and soprano Jennifer Jung-Hyun Park.

One of the most unique characteristics of the group is the size of the ensemble and the attention to detail that is employed.

Devin Hough, a Davis community member and violinmaker who has been performing with the group since 1994, creates period-correct instruments for members of the ensemble to perform with.

“This group alone allows students to try playing period instruments and bows so they can really experience recreating the sounds and style of the music as the composers intended,” said Hough in an email interview.

Danielle Leinwander, a second-year double major in music composition and biological sciences describes how she enjoys the style of Baroque music as it allows for greater interpretation of the music.

“Baroque music, because it is one of the earlier periods, permits a lot more ‘wiggle room’ for interpretations than more modern music,” Leinwander said. “This allows us to really flourish and show off our imaginations.”

The performance is free of charge and will be the Baroque Ensemble’s first and last performance of the quarter.