67.8 F

Davis, California

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Fire breaks out at Segundo hall

At 1:37 p.m. on Jan. 7, a fire broke out in a dorm room on the second floor of Sereno Hall, located within the Regan Residence Halls complex of Segundo. Firefighters evacuated the building in order to clear out the smoke. No one was present in the room at the time.

According to UC Davis Fire Chief Nathan Trauernicht, the room’s garbage receptacle near the door was on fire and a water extinguisher was used to put it out. Trauernicht said that the improper disposal of a cigarette butt most likely led to the fire. The UC Davis Fire Department was dispatched to the room when the room’s heat detector transmitted a signal indicating it had been dismantled.

UC Davis became a smoke and tobacco-free campus beginning Jan. 1. The residents of the dorm room will be referred to Student Judicial Affairs.

— Claire Tan


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here