Davis Art Resources and Groups

Figure Drawing Group
Pence Gallery
212 D St.
Second and fourth Wednesdays of each month, $14
This group, active since 2009, lets amateurs and veterans alike draw from a nude model. The group uses dry materials for their work, such as graphite and pastels, and specifically requests that guests do not bring wet paint materials. While the group provides tabletops, they recommend bringing an easel.

Music Instruction
Watermelon Music
207 E St.
Watermelon Music has 41 instructors between their Davis and Woodland locations teaching a variety of classical instruments such as the violin, piano and flute; their rates vary between instructors. They also rent instruments.

Rock Band University
720 Olive Drive, Suite H
Rock Band University (RBU) also provides music instruction, but with a focus on rock music. Two instructors teach guitar, bass, drums, piano, music theory and songwriting; monthly instruction costs $120. RBU also offers practice for playing in a band setting, which costs $140 a month.

Open Mics
Dr. Andy’s Poetry Night Reading Series
Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
First and third Thursdays, 8 p.m.
The Poetry Night Reading Series, sponsored by UWP professor Dr. Andy Jones, starts with a featured reader at 8 p.m. before the open mic segment, which begins at 9 p.m. There is a time limit of five minutes or two pieces, whichever is shorter. Only ten people are allowed to sign up, so participants are encouraged to show up early.

Sick Spits
TCS Building
First Wednesday of the month, 7 p.m.
The student-run Sick Spits Spoken Word Collective operate an open mic show during their performances, which are on the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. with sign ups beforehand. Sick Spits also runs a writer’s workshop, which is at 7 p.m. on the last Wednesday of each month in the Fielder Room of the MU.

UC Davis Gospel Choir
Music Building, Room 105
Mondays 6 to 8 p.m. and Fridays 5 to 7 p.m.
The UC Davis Gospel Choir welcomes anyone interested in singing gospel, regardless of skill level. The group tours and has performed at churches all over California.

Performance Groups
Studio 301
studio301productions@gmail.com
Studio 301 is a student-run theatre group on campus that puts on plays, and have recently put on shows such as “Bat Boy: The Musical” and “The Odd Couple.” Since they are entirely student run, they can also account for people who are more interested in the technical aspects of theatre than the performing aspects.

Dead Arts Society
deadartssociety@gmail.com
Dead Arts Society, a spin-off from Studio 301, puts on student-written pieces and focuses on a broader variety of performance art, including music and dance. They do a showcase of their work at the end of every quarter. In addition, Dead Arts Society is highly inclusive and will let anyone in regardless of experience.