Women’s diving swims to UCLA

Event: Bruin Diving Invitational

Where: Spieker Aquatic Center, Los Angeles, Calif.

When: Friday, Jan. 10; Saturday, Jan. 11; Sunday Jan. 12

Preview:

The UC Davis diving team will make its way to Los Angeles on Jan. 10 to participate in the annual Bruin Diving Invitational on the UCLA campus. The swimming team has a meet on Jan. 11 against Fresno State in Davis, so only the diving portion of the Swimming and Diving (S&D) team will compete in Los Angeles.

Competitions will include the one meter dive, three meter dive, as well as the platform dive. The women’s one meter dive and men’s three meter dive will be contested on Jan. 10, the women’s three meter and men’s one meter on Jan. 11, and both the men and women’s platform dives on Jan. 12.

The S&D team is starting their spring schedule coming off an impressive showing in the final fall meet at the Missouri Invitational. The Aggies placed fourth as a team in that tournament, which catapulted them to the highest ranking in school history, at number 24 overall. Sophomore Audrey Deneffe set a UC Davis school record for her score in the platform dive with a tally of 210.65.

In the tournaments preceding the Missouri Invitational, the Aggies turned in great team performances as well. Together they defeated Nevada 151-149 on Nov. 9, and on Nov. 2 they succeeded against both University of San Diego (173.50-123.50) and Oregon State (176-120). Riding these results will provide a boost in confidence for the team, and expectations should be high for the dive team this weekend in Los Angeles.

This past year sophomore Hannah Tears led the team in individual results for both the one meter and three meter dives with scores of 278.40 and 292.35, respectively. Tears also posted a score of 201.95 in the platform dive during the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championships, second only to Deneffe’s school record. The team will look to her as well as Deneffe to continue their success as the field of competition is top tier, including UCLA, Cal and USC.

— Vic Anderson