Meet your representatives

senators2_Nguyen

Spencer McManus

Chairman of the Internal Affairs Commission, ASUCD

Majors: chemistry and political science, emphasizing in public service

1. How did you decide on your major?

In high school, I had a really great chem teacher who inspired me. He had all these really cool demonstrations. Then I got here and had really great general chemistry teachers that kept me going on that. I worked in the lab for a little while and I decided that wasn’t my thing, so that’s why I picked up the political science major also. I want to go to law school and I’ve always been interested in political institutions here in the United States.

2. What is your life motto?

“Each day is its own” I think is a nice one. I’ll be honest, I’m a pretty busy person so I have to look at my calendar every morning to remember what I’m doing. I’m sure a lot of people here are the same way. Also just being cognizant of what everyone else thinks too, as a student rep that’s an important thing to have, and just as a general life motto, just being able to listen to other people.

3. What do you do when you’re not studying or working?

Besides working at ASUCD and the occasional studying, I’m a peer advisor for the College of Letters and Science. Outside of that I’m a huge San Jose Sharks fan. I enjoy reading a lot. I’m a big tech nerd. And I need to catch up on Breaking Bad, so maybe that’ll be my thing this quarter.

4. What is your favorite stress-relieving activity?

Probably going running, which I haven’t done enough lately, that would be my stress reliever. Or going on a hike.

5. What’s your favorite restaurant in Davis?

3rd and U, I get their BBQ cheeseburgers a little bit too often.

6. If you were a fruit, what would you be and why?

I would be a strawberry. Sweet, the seeds are on the outside so you can kind of see where I’m at. But also I’m sweet and willing to listen. Is that a little corny?

7. What would be the theme song to a show about your life?

“What If,” it’s a Five For Fighting song. It talks about thinking about things that could happen or would have happened, and I like to plan ahead a lot.

8. If you could own any animal, what would it be and why?

A little owl. Have you seen the pictures of the cute little baby owls? I would love one of those just to sit on my shoulder. I think that’d be pretty cool.

senators_Nguyen

Mariah Kala Watson

ASUCD Senator

Major: international relations, emphasizing in peace and security

1. How did you decide on your major?

I’ve had the privilege of being able to travel  around the world with my parents from the very young age of six months. My first trip ever was visiting my extended family in Bermuda. Many trips soon followed. But my favorite trip of all time was my first trip to Egypt. I fell in love. The culture, the people, the food. It was all so amazing and enchanting. I had never felt more at home in a foreign country.

When I got older people began telling me to explore what I was passionate about. I decided to play sports, and then finally joined my local chapter of the YMCA’s Youth and Government when high school was nearing an end. And wha-la! I found another home in being engaged in dialogues and debates about politics both foreign and domestic. So I picked a major that mirrored both my love for Egypt and politics; international relations is perfect.

2. What is your life motto?

“Love everyone for every reason”

I know that sounds beyond corny, but I do truly strive to see the good and beauty in everyone and everything.

There’s time for something else? In all seriousness my job is my joy, so I spend a lot of time doing things that revolve about ASUCD or the Cross Cultural Center. I’m always at retreats and conferences meeting fellow students. We talk about social justice, inequality, student leadership and cultural affairs, as well as the issues we face on campus and how we plan to fix them.

However, when I do have “freer” time I lalala-love movies. You can pretty much play anything, doesn’t matter how terrible the quality or plot is and I’ll find something enjoyable about it. I enjoy going out with my friends on the weekends. Brunches during the day and parties at night.

Watching Netflix snuggled in a blanket with tea = perfection.

5. What is your favorite restaurant in Davis?

Mikuni or Zen Toro for special occasions.

6. What is your greatest accomplishment outside of school?

Volunteering at an all girls camp called “Girls to Goddess” every summer for five years. I’m a head camp counselor and it’s always incredible to see how much personal growth and self discovery can happen in one week. I’m happy to be a part of it.

7. If you were a fruit, what would you be and why?

Passion Fruit — it’s sweet, unique and unexpected.

8. What would be the theme song to a show about your life?

Paolo Nutini — New Shoes

It’s my happy song. To me, it’s about finding the little things in life that make you joyful and letting them fill your life with bliss. If you ever hear me singing or humming this song, I’m in a fantastic mood!

9. If you could own any animal, real or mythical, what would it be?

A half wolf and half Australian German shepherd the size of the wolves from the Twilight saga. It would be extremely sweet and cuddly and also fun to ride and hike with.