Aggie tennis fights through difficult weekend

The women’s tennis team salvaged a weekend split with a win over Pacific on Jan. 25. A day after falling to No. 1-ranked Stanford, the Aggies won the doubles point in their match against Pacific and triumphed with a 4-3 overall victory.

Senior Megan Heneghan, senior Melissa Kobayakawa and sophomore Tiffany Pham all won matches in both singles and doubles play. Heneghan and Kobayakawa dominated in their singles matches, winning 6-1, 6-0 and 6-2, 6-1 respectively, while Pham gutted out a dramatic super tiebreak win, scoring a 6-3, 4-6, (11-9) victory. Senior Nicole Koehly came up just short in her singles match, losing a tough battle in a super tiebreak as well 6-3, 6-7(4), (7-10).

It was an impressive turnaround for the Aggies after being outclassed by the top team in the nation the day before. Stanford defeated UC Davis 7-0 overall on Jan. 24. Stanford boasted a roster including five nationally-ranked players in singles, and a pair of top-ranked doubles teams as well.

The ability of the Aggies to bounce back and get a tough road win the very next day speaks to their strong and positive mentality as well as close team camaraderie. The skill and talent were present as well in the matchup against Pacific once the early season nerves wore off after the match against Stanford.

The road trip continues for the women next weekend when they play at San Diego State on Feb. 1, and then at UC San Diego on Feb. 2.

The men’s team was in competition over the weekend as well, albeit for only one match. They took the courts at Pacific on Jan. 25 just after the women’s team triumphed. The men did not fare quite so well unfortunately, falling 6-1 overall. The lone victory for the Aggies came in singles, courtesy of a 6-4, 6-4 victory for freshman James Wade. This was Wade’s 11th singles victory of the season, tying him for the team lead with sophomore Brett Bacharach. Bacharach very nearly added to his own tally, but came up just short in a 6-1, 6-7, 3-6 loss.

The men will look to bounce back at home as they open up a six-match homestand beginning this next weekend. On Feb. 1, they host San Francisco and on Feb. 2 they play Loyola Marymount here in Davis, Calif.