Arts Week: 1/30

MUSIC

KDVS 50th Birthday Bash
Feb. 1, 9 p.m. to 12 a.m., free
Rock Band University, 720 Olive Drive Suite H
On Feb. 1 KDVS will be celebrating its 50th anniversary at Rock Band University. The show will be broadcast live and include a slew of bands, including local Davis favorites Big Sticky Mess and Whiskey Business. The doors will open at 8:30 p.m. with performances starting at 9 p.m.

Folk Music Jam Session
Jan. 31, noon to 1 p.m., free
Wyatt Deck Arboretum
Folk musicians are invited to come out and play in an informal jam session on the Wyatt Deck in the Arboretum. Musicians of all skill levels are welcome as well as listeners.

Haunted Folk Night
Feb. 5, 8:30 p.m., $5 suggested donation
Third Space Art Collective, 946 Olive Drive
Weyes Blood, Dead Western and Loner will be performing at Third Space. The bands, all similar in their dark/goth folky sound, will be sonically haunting, bringing chills to the back of your neck.

DANCE

Grupo Corpo
Feb. 4, 8 p.m.
Mondavi Center
Grupo Corpo is a contemporary Brazilian dance company that embodies the rhythmic and multicultural spirit of Brazil. The group, known for combining their contemporary stage movements with Afro-Brazilian dance, will be performing two pieces for their Mondavi Center performance.

ART

Exhibit Opening
Feb. 5 to Mar. 1
John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
The John Natsoulas Gallery will be presenting the work of Alex Reisfar along with Bark!, a collection of dog-related paintings and sculptures. Reisfar is an artist out of Portland, Ore. and was presented with the honor of being an Artist in Residence at the John Natsoulas Center for the Arts in Davis in 2012. The works will be on exhibit starting Feb. 5.

LITERATURE

Author Event with Penny Rosenwasser
Feb. 5, 7:30 p.m., free
The Avid Reader, 617 Second St.
Co-sponsored by the Jewish Voice for Peace, author Penny Rosenwasser will be discussing her book, Hope into Practice: Jewish Women Choosing Justice Despite our Fears, Feb. 5 at 7:30 p.m. at The Avid Reader. The book, which calls for Jewish women to free themselves from internalized anti-semitism by empowering themselves through activism, was published in October of last year.