News in Brief: Davis homicide cases set court dates

In the past several months, Davis has seen a series of high-profile murder cases go through various court proceedings. The cases of Daniel Marsh, Aquelin Talamantes and Darnell Dorsey have all gained considerable attention.

Daniel Marsh is accused of murdering an elderly Davis couple, Oliver Northup, 87, and his wife Claudia Maupin, 76. According to medical examiners, both victims were stabbed over 60 times. The crime involved use of a deadly weapon, forced entry and heinous and depraved murder — actions that all have very serious legal ramifications for Marsh. A torture charge was debated, with the defense recently making a case to have this charge dropped. Marsh has pleaded not guilty to his existing charges.

On Feb. 6, Marsh and his attorneys will petition the Yolo Superior Court  for a motion to exclude the public and electronic media coverage from the case.

“These motions are brought on grounds that they are necessary for a fair trial … and due process under the federal and state constitutions,” Deputy Public Defender Ronald Johnson said in his notice to the Yolo County District Attorney.

Jonathan Raven, chief deputy district attorney, noted the harsh possibilities for the now 16-year-old Marsh.

“26 years to life on each murder for a total of 52 years to life in prison,” Raven said. “We will be dedicated to obtaining justice.”

Marsh is ineligible for the death penalty as a minor. He will stand before a jury on Mar. 10.

In a separate case, Aquelin Crystal Talamantes, 29, is accused in the murder of her five-year-old daughter, Tatianna Garcia. The alleged crime involved Talamantes putting her daughter’s unresponsive body in the trunk of her car before driving to a relative’s house.

Talamantes’ defense has provided a report from a psychologist for the court stating that she would be pleading not guilty by reason of insanity.

“Nothing comes as a surprise,” Raven said, in response to Talamantes’ not guilty plea.

Talamantes underwent a preliminary hearing on Nov. 14, 2013.

“[The defendant] was held to answer on all charged counts, meaning she will face trial on all counts in the complaint,” Raven said.

The trial date for Talamantes is uncertain. While the crime took place on Sept. 25, 2013, Raven said that most murder cases take about a year to go to trial.

Bearing similarity to the Talamantes case is the most recent Darnell Dorsey Case. Cameron Morrison, a 20-month-old child, died on Jan. 25 leading to a homicide investigation conducted by the Davis Police Department (DPD).

Dorsey has a criminal record that to date includes robbery, battery and unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.

Details on the Morrison death are still unclear given the ongoing nature of the investigation, said Lt. Paul Doroshov of the DPD. According to the Davis Enterprise, it seems that an assault on the child may have taken place.

Dorsey will appear in court to enter a plea on Mar. 18.