News in Brief: UC Davis Wears Red Day to take place Feb. 7

On Feb. 7, UC Davis Wears Red Day will take place on Hutchison Field at 11:30 a.m. The event will raise awareness for heart disease as a leading killer of both men and women in the U.S. UC Davis Wears Red Day coincides with National Wear Red Day.

The goal of the event is to break the Guinness World Record for the largest human heart formation to spread awareness for heart disease in the U.S. The current record is at 11,116 people. All who attend are encouraged to wear red and participate in the breaking of the record. Pictures will be taken at 12:30 p.m.

According to Andrew Crotto, event manager at UC Davis, planners are expecting at least a 12,000 person turnout at the event.

“To show just how dedicated we are to this important cause, we have set our sights incredibly high,” UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi said in a press release for the event.

The hope for the event is that a variety of UC Davis organizations on campus and in the community can be involved in spreading awareness with their own unique talents and strengths.

Special event T-shirts have been created and sold at the MU since Jan. 21. These red shirts will also be available on the Hutchison field before the event. Short-sleeved shirts will be available for $5 and long-sleeved shirts for $8. One dollar from each T-shirt purchase will be donated to the Women’s Cardiovascular Medicine Program at UC Davis.

The project was spearheaded by the chancellor’s office alongside Dr. Amparo Villablanca, Director of the UC Davis Women’s Cardiovascular Medicine Program, and Adele Zhang, Curator of the UC Davis Design Museum.

Following the heart formation on Hutchison Field, the student-organized Battle Heart Disease Fair will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. in the ARC Pavillion. The fair was organized by Alpha Pi Sigma sorority and will have information tables and health screenings.

Additional event details can be found on the UC Davis website and on the Facebook event titled UC Davis Wears Red Day.

— LAURA FITZGERALD