This Week in Senate

ASUCD Vice President Bradley Bottoms presided over the senate meeting on Jan. 30. The meeting was called to order at 6:15 p.m.

The meeting was comprised mainly of discussion about several pieces of legislation, including five bills and three senate resolutions.

Susan Kee-Young Park from the UC Davis Office of the Ombuds made a presentation explaining how Ombuds is a good resource on campus. Ombuds is an independent and impartial resource that helps solve any conflicts between the faculty, staff, administrators or postdocs and the UC Davis administration. Ombuds does not get involved but offers strategies and tips to solve resolutions peacefully.

Senate Bill (SB) #21, which changed the attendance policy for commission interviews, was passed with no objections. SB #23 to implement a Long-Range Plan for Project Compost was passed with no objections. SB #27 to include the chairs of the Internal Affairs Commission (IAC) and Environmental Policy and Planning Commission (EPPC) on the Unit Renovation and Space Allocation Committee (URSAC) was passed with no objections. SB #28 to revise Chapter 17 of the ASUCD Bylaws was passed with no objections. SB #32 to remove the phrase “encouraged to resign” from the Bylaws, in regards to censures, was also passed with no objections.

Senate Resolution (SR) #5, which calls for a new Master Plan for Higher Education for the State of California, was passed without objection. The current Master Plan has not changed in 53 years. It is the responsibility of the California state government of Higher Education to adapt to and fix inequities of the K-12 and higher education systems. A committee will be formed to draft an entirely new plan.

SR #7 to pursue an end to actions that seek to ostracize, harass or disenfranchise segments of the UC Davis community, authored by University Affairs Director Dillan Horton, was debated. Senators Miles Thomas and Jonathan Mitchell were against the resolution because it represented “words without any action.” Senator Mariah Watson wanted to add a clause to urge administration to create forums on the education of diversity. SR #7 was re-referred to the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission.

SR #8 details the problems and barriers to affordable education and offers a solution to make more flexible and affordable course material available to students. The resolution was passed with no objections.

The meeting then moved into public discussion before adjourning for closed discussion at 10:30 p.m.