Artsweek: Feb 20, 2013

MUSIC

The Spring Quartet
Feb. 21, 2014, 8 p.m., prices vary
Mondavi Center, Jackson Hall
The Mondavi Center will be hosting the Spring Quartet, a jazz group made up of Jack DeJohnette, Joe Lovano, Esperanza Spalding and Leo Genovese. DeJohnette (drummer) and Genovese (pianist) are both internationally-known jazz masters, while Spalding and Lovano have won Grammys for their work in instrumental jazz. The group is known for their innovative modern take on jazz technique and jazz theory. Together, these talented musicians make one stellar quartet.

THEATRE

The Broadway Song Book of 1977
Feb. 22, 7 p.m., $35
Veterans Memorial Center Theatre, 201 E. 14th St.
The nonprofit organization, Citizens Who Care, will be hosting their 22nd annual Broadway-themed benefit concert. The proceeds of the concert will support elderly citizens and their caregivers throughout Yolo County. The concert will feature classic songs from Annie, Pippin, Godspell and more. Capital Public Radio’s star personality Stephen Peithman will be hosting the event. Ticket information can be found at citizenswhocare.us.

LITERATURE & POETRY

Poetry Night at Natsoulas Gallery
Feb. 20, 8 to 10 p.m., free
John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
Enjoy some of Davis’ most talented poets at Natsoulas Gallery’s monthly readings. As tradition goes, the event will be hosted by Dr. Andy Jones and will hold open mic performances after the main show. Featured poets are TBA.

Author Event: The Greenhouse Redemption of the Planet Kraal
Feb. 21, 7:30 p.m., free
The Avid Reader, 617 Second St.
Local author and professor Thomas Cahill will be speaking about his recently published science fiction novel. The story takes a look at an alien civilization 6.2 light years away from Earth that have cloned human beings in order to create their very own human zoo. Cahill, also a renowned physicist, looks at the possibilities that surround this scenario and offers insight into the mystery of life on other planets.

FILM

International Film Series: Amour
Feb. 21, 7:30 p.m., free
International House, 10 College Park
The International House will be holding a screening of the 2013 Oscar winning film Amour. As a part of the International Film Series, Amour is a foreign film from France. The movie follows the story of an elderly couple, one of whom has suffered a crippling stroke. Music is the last stable connection they have to one another and the film intends to keep the soundtrack going until the conclusion of this heartbreaking story. Seating is limited, so arrive early to ensure a spot.

Screening: The Deer Hunter
Feb. 23, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., $2 donation
Yolo Pleasure Dome, 1401 Pole Line Road
The Yolo County Film Society will be screening the 1978 film The Deer Hunter. Directed by Michael Cimino, the movie takes place in a small town in post-Vietnam War America. It highlights the aftereffects of the war on three Russian-American veterans and steelworkers. Seating is limited, so arriving early is suggested.

ART

The Verve of Quilted Textiles
Now through March 14, free
UC Davis Design Museum
The UC Davis Design Museum is currently featuring African American quilts from the Sandra McPherson Collection. The exhibit features quilts made by African Americans from all across the country. The quilts tell stories of their family life, joys, struggles and traditions.