News in Brief: External Affairs organizes Art in the Air

ASUCD’s External Affairs Commission is organizing “Art in the Air,” an event that will bring painting to the Quad on March 6.

The event will have students create paintings for local businesses who have sponsored the event. All proceeds will go toward the Cal Aggie Camp, which benefits underprivileged children.

The event was borrowed from Pastels on the Plaza, a similar event that has been held in Arcata, Calif. since 1987.
Amelia Helland, a member of the External Affairs Commission and a fourth-year statistics major, is one of the main organizers of the event.

“We ask downtown businesses to donate their money,” Helland said. “In exchange we’ll hook them up with design and art students who will volunteer time and talent to work with the business to design an ad that they’ll paint on the Quad on the day of the event.”

Azka Fayyaz, a second-year economics major, is also organizing the event with Helland.

“The purpose of ‘Art in the Air’ is for students to be able to see that they are part of a larger community at UC Davis, which is the goal of the External Affairs Commission,” Fayyaz said.

The event was initially planned for Fall Quarter but ended up being rained out.

“That was the only real challenge we faced,” Fayyaz said. “It was really a blessing in disguise because it allowed us to plan more and tell more people about it. Except for the rain, everything has been in our favor.”

Helland hoped that several local businesses would sponsor the event.

“I just started getting the signups on Friday,” Helland said. “Hopefully we’ll get Delta of Venus, Pluto’s and Whole Foods. We’re asking really all of the local businesses. We’re going to go crazy next week.”

Fayyaz was proud of the work the External Affairs Commission has put into the event.

“We were able to put more groundwork into this campaign because we had more time and more commissioners helping us plan the event,” Fayyaz said. “The experience has really allowed the commission to bond over this and fulfill our duty.”

— John Kesler