News from around the world: March 12, 2014

Violence in Ukraine

The capital of Ukraine is experiencing the most violence since the former Soviet Union became independent 23 years ago.The turmoil the Ukranian government has been experiencing during the past few weeks is the product of persistent social tension and political unrest. The explicit protests and demonstrations are due to the actions of President Viktor Yanukovych rejecting a geopolitical trade deal with Europe, which sealed a $15 billion bailout from Russia. Thousands of citizens flocked to the street to demonstrate against the obvious corruption and police brutality.

College Board restructures SAT

The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) that high school students must take to get into college will be overhauled and changed drastically. Criticism from parents, colleges and students saying that the exam does not focus on core academic skills urged the College Board to fundamentally restructure the test.The College Board is ending the old penalty for guessing wrongly, making the essay optional and scrapping vague and obscure vocabulary words in the reading section of the exam. David Coleman, the president of College Board, said that both the SAT and its competitor the ACT have become obsolete in testing academic knowledge.

Malaysian flight disappears mid-flight

On March 7, the Malaysian Flight 370 airplane disappeared over the Southeastern Asian seas between Vietnam and Malaysia. At 12:41 a.m. March 8, the Boeing 777-200 took off from Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and was scheduled to arrive in Beijing, China at 6:30 a.m. However, at approximately 1 a.m. Malaysian air controllers lost connection with the plane. A total of 239 people were on the plane, five of whom were under 5 years old and 12 of whom were crew members. So far, authorities have no further information regarding the issue.

— ROHIT TIGGA