Divestment bill to go to senate

IMG_3770_nguyen
A member of the public speaks against SR #20 during the Business and Finance Commission meeting on May 6 in Giedt Hall. Photo by Brian Nguyen.

On April 17, Senate Resolution (SR) #20 was introduced to ASUCD senate. SR #20 urges the UC Regents to divest from companies assisting in the Israeli occupation of Palestine and illegal settlements in Palestinian territories, which violate international human rights. In particular, the bill specifies divesting from Caterpillar Inc., G4S PLC and Veolia Environment due to their active involvement in violating human rights. The entire resolution can be read here.

SR #20 was seen by the Ethnic & Cultural Affairs Commission on April 28 at 6:30 p.m. in Hunt 100. The resolution passed the commission with a 5-4 vote.

On April 29, the resolution was seen by the External Affairs Commission at 6:10 p.m. in Wellman 26. It failed with a 2-4-3 vote.

The Business & Finance Commission voted to allot only two hours to public discussion. The commission reviewed the bill on May 6 at 8:10 p.m. in Giedt 1001; the resolution passed with a 4-3-2 vote.

Since SR #20 passed with a majority vote by the commissions, it will be voted on by senate on May 8 at Freeborn Hall. The senate meeting will begin at 6:10 p.m.

Last year, a similar divestment resolution was introduced (SR #30) but failed to move forward to senate.

More updates regarding SR #20 are to come.

— Claire Tan