UC Davis softball blasts Titans to avoid sweep

The UC Davis softball team struggled early in the weekend series against the Cal State Fullerton Titans, dropping both games of their May 3 doubleheader, 5-4 and 10-5 respectively.

However, UC Davis avoided the sweep and defeated Cal State Fullerton 9-6, on the series finale.

After trailing the Titans 3-0, the Aggies managed to score eight runs in two innings to gain the lead. The rally began as sophomore Christina Guidry blasted a home run over the left field wall, which brought in her sister, sophomore Cat Guidry, who had singled in the previous at-bat.

“I knew I made solid contact when I hit the ball, I had no idea it would land on the other side of the fence,” Christina said. “When I turned second, I saw my teammates circle the plate and could not contain myself when I scored.”

UC Davis continued to hit the ball well in the fourth inning where they scored six runs. Leadoff hitter, freshman Lauryn Saunders hit an opposite side home run over the right field wall to start that inning for the Aggies.

Senior Chandler Wagner was able to reach base after she was hit by a pitch and Cat later singled, which allowed Wagner to advance to third. Cat Guidry would later steal second base. With runners in scoring position, the Titans decided to intentionally walk sophomore Crista Castello, who is batting .309 this season.

With the bases loaded, pinch hitter senior Kimberly Pena hit a ground ball to the Titan’s shortstop and reached first base safely as Wagner and Cat were brought home.

With runners on first and second, junior Amy Nunez hit a three-run home run that brought in Castello and Pena. This was Nunez’s fourth home run of the year.

Even after Cal State Fullerton scored three runs in the fourth inning, they were unable to take back the lead. Saunders blasted another home run for insurance in the fifth inning and sealed the game’s fate, 9-6.

The Aggies’ win improves their record to 18-31 overall, and 7-11 in conference play. Despite the win, UC Davis remains in sixth place in the Big West Conference.

UC Davis closes out the season at home, as it faces Saint Mary’s for a doubleheader on May 7. The final weekend series of the season starts with a doubleheader against Hawai’i on May 9 at La Rue Field in Davis, Calif.

OSCAR DUEÑAS can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.