Whole Earth Festival’s must-see events

The 45th annual Whole Earth Festival (WEF) will take place this Mother’s Day weekend, May 9, 10 and 11. The event, which aims to celebrate health, the environment and expression, will be hosted on the Quad and will showcase a variety of local and visiting artists, dancers and musicians.

Whole Earth manages to pack the weekend with 40 bands and 20 dance acts, in addition to offering vegetarian dining, movie screenings, artist vendors and a variety of workshops. Here are a few interesting activities to check out.

MUSIC

Lazertooth — Davis local, Derrek Warren G. mixes heavy bass and synthetic melodies that are reminiscent of dubstep but distinctly original.
Set time: Friday, May 9; 9 to 10 p.m.

SambaDá — The self-proclaimed “Afro-Samba-Dance” band brings an energy completely unique to Davis. The Brazilian band draws from samba, reggae, funk and cumbia influences and will have even the most reserved spectators dancing.
Set time: Sunday, May 11; 3:35 to 5 p.m.

Thick As Thieves — This L.A.-based band fuses hip hop and rock into a seamless and catchy creation. The band adds to this contrast with two powerful vocalists backed by classic rock guitar riffs.
Set time: Saturday, May 10; 4:30 to 5:25 p.m.

Ideateam — The Ideateam is a 9-piece funk/psych/jazz band that hails from Sacramento. The group, influenced heavily by jam bands like Snarky Puppy, masterfully weaves jazz and funk with effortless skill and energy.
Set time: Friday, May 9; 8:45 to 9:45 p.m.

DANCE

Yoga-Hip — Yoga Hip takes yoga, dance and martial arts and forms a synergetic, fitness-based yoga that is set to music. The program emphasizes spiritual oneness and physical fitness.
Performance time: Saturday, May 10; 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Capoeira Água de Beber — Capoeira is a style of martial arts that mixes aspects of dance and acrobatics and sets it to music. The studio, which is based in Sacramento, teaches both children and adults the art of Capoeria.
Performance time: Saturday, May 10; 6 to 7 p.m.

OTHER

Flow movie screening
Irena Salina investigates the world’s dwindling water supply and its implications for society in this award-winning 2008 documentary.
Screening time: Sunday, May 11; 10 to 11:30 a.m. in Young Hall

FOOD

WEF will host more than 20 food and beverage vendors. Coachella vendor, Gourmet Faire will serve vegetarian corn dogs while Lydia’s Organics will offer vegan and gluten-free snacks. Davis local business, Fat Face will be selling handcrafted popsicles and Frozen Fantasies will offer chocolate-dipped fresh fruit.

ART DISPLAYS

More than 30 artists will be showing off their hand-crafted designs. Mellow Mud Pottery to see artist Susan Tate’s blending of stoneware clays and unique textures. Imps and Monsters will display artist Justin Hillgrove’s whimsical but eerie paintings, comics, and prints of cartoonish creatures.

EXPERIMENTAL SPACE WORKSHOPS

The northwest Quad’s Experimental Space will host a series of workshops including Sexuality in Intentional Communities, Medicinal Plants and Aromatherapy, Birth into Being and many more.

SACRED SPACE WORKSHOPS

The southwest Quad’s Sacred Space will host a variety of workshops to help you feel spiritually awakened. Come check out Intro to Acro Yoga, Tapping Into Your Divine Purpose, and Loving Oneself.

For a more information and the complete schedule of events visit wef.ucdavis.edu