UC Davis softball falls short of Big West playoffs

The 2014 season was a challenge for the UC Davis softball team. The year was marked by many ups and downs for the Aggies, with the athletes snagging several wins here and there but unable to string together a long run of victories which would have aided UC Davis in accomplishing their ultimate goal of making it to the Big West playoffs.

In their final series of the 2014 season, the Aggies took on Hawai’i at home on La Rue Field on May 9 and May 10. UC Davis came out hot, winning both games on May 9, 5-1 and 4-3. With their sights set on finally taking home a sweep and finishing the year on a high note, the Aggies took on the Rainbow Warriors in the final game of the year on May 10.

Senior Day unfortunately did not go in the home team’s favor. The players were unable to push any runs across the board and fell to Hawai’i, 2-0, in the team’s final game of the year on La Rue Field. The match-up also marked the final game of the Aggies’ four graduating seniors’ careers: Jessica Barrett, Kimberly Pena, Caitlin Voss and Chandler Wagner.

Although the team was unable to come away with the sweep, the two victories in the doubleheader on May 9 marked the first time since 2009 that the Aggies defeated the Rainbow Wahine.

UC Davis finished the year with a conference record of 9-12 and an overall record of 21-33. Other positives that came away from the 2014 season included three Aggies receiving All-Big West accolades this past week.

Sophomore Christa Castello earned a spot on the second team, junior Amy Nunez was recognized with an honorable mention and freshman Dana Cruse received all-freshman recognition.

With 21 returners coming back next year, the team still has plenty of opportunity to reclaim that Big West league title and find themselves at Regionals come spring 2015.

SLOAN BOETTCHER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.