News in brief: Davis Art Studio Tour

From May 31 to June 1, the Davis Art Studio Tour will take place all over the City of Davis. The Davis Art Studio Tour is an annual city-wide exhibit meant to showcase the vast artistic talent throughout the city of Davis. The tour works by offering viewers a map of all the different art studios in Davis that are open for public viewings.

The tour was founded in 2007 and sponsored by the Pence Gallery in order to celebrate local artists and make citizens aware of the variety of art that could be found in Davis.

Now the tour is sponsored by a Davis art cooperative, The Artery. The art viewings are unique because rather than an artist displaying their pieces in an organized gallery, the work is displayed in the same place where the art is created: the studio. This gives new perspectives to art enthusiasts as to what kinds of environments professional artists build for themselves in order to spark the creative process.

This year there will be 27 unique artists from around the city. The pieces set to be showcased range from oil painting to sculpture to photography and beyond. Local ceramic artist, Linda S. Fitz Gibbon, will be displaying some of her new work as well as older pieces. She said she is excited for art admirers to see the space in which her work is created.

“My home is like a gallery with art wall to wall,” Gibbon said. “I’ve been collecting art longer than I’ve been making it — over 20 years. This is a great opportunity to see a broad range of artwork from some well-known figures. I’ll [also] be showcasing both figurative and abstract ceramic sculpture from a few inches to several feet high.”

Local painter Marie-Therese Brown will be showcasing her pieces at the tour. She said she believes this event is not only beneficial for consumers and admirers of art in Davis, but for the artists themselves.

“This is also a chance for the artists to get to know the community and get feedback on their process and art,” Brown said.

A pre-tour exhibit will be held from May 27 to June 2 at The Artery on G Street. The tour is $10 for adults and free for kids 12 and under. For more information, visit www.davisartstudiotour.com.

— Akira Olivia Kumamoto