Women’s Athlete of the Year: Paige Lee

Paige Lee is one of only three Aggie golfers ever to qualify for the U.S. Women’s Open. She was also a first-team All-Big West selection this year, was second on UC Davis’ team with five top-10 finishes and was tied for second on the team with two top-five finishes.

By the way, she is also a freshman.

Lee’s best finish of the year was at the Golfweek Conference Challenge at Red Sky Country Club in Walcott, Colo. She went 5-over 221 and finished fourth out of 90 competitors. Lee shot an even 72 in her second round which helped her maintain a sizeable advantage over the other golfers.

Lee’s fantastic freshman year culminated in her helping the Aggies to a fifth consecutive Big West title. She finished tied for seventh in the Big West playoffs with a 6-over 222.

Beyond the team title she helped win this year, her qualification for the U.S. Women’s Open shows individual quality that is rare in a golfer, let alone a freshman golfer.

“Qualifying for the U.S. Women’s Open is no easy feat and Paige was able to put together two solid rounds on a challenging golf course today at Half Moon Bay,” said head coach Anna Temple. “Last summer’s experience at the U.S. Women’s Amateur will really help her during what will be a strenuous and amazing week.”

Lee has performed at a high level all year and has grown as a player throughout the season. The hope is that she will only continue to get better as time goes on.

“Paige has been working hard and has really improved over several categories over the past season and she is starting to see that pay off now,” coach Temple said. “This is a testament to the level of Aggie golf as she is the third UC Davis player to qualify.”

Lee’s quality production on the course is marvelous in itself. The fact that she accomplished what she did in her first year of collegiate golf is even more remarkable.

For her fantastic season, including entering select company in the Aggie record books, Paige Lee is The Aggies’ Women’s Athlete of the Quarter.

KENNETH LING can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.