Men’s Team of The Quarter: Men’s Golf

UC Davis men’s golf team started off the 2013-14 season with its goal to return to the postseason. The Aggies eventually accomplished their goal, making the Big West Conference Championships once again and even making their first appearance in the NCAA Championships since 2012.

The team performed impressively and put together an exceptional 2013-14 season. At the El Macero Classic tournament, UC Davis, led by senior Matt Hansen, won its first title of the season. Hansen finished first and picked up his second career win.

The success continued as the Aggies went after their third Big West Championship over the past four years. Last season, UC Davis finished a close third to Pacific and Cal State Fullerton, which tied for first place. This year, with the team’s efforts, the Aggies finished second and Hansen finished first. This marked his second tournament win in a row.

After finishing second in the Big West Conference, UC Davis was selected for the NCAA Auburn Regional and was given the 11th seed. Eventually, the team finished with a tie for ninth place, and sophomore Luke Vivolo’s strong finish put him in tie for seventh place in the final individual standings.

As one of the leading players, Hansen played many great rounds and helped the team become better and better. With his impressive performance this season, Hansen won the UC Davis Athletics’ top student-athlete award for the 2013-14 season and was named to the Division I PING All-West Region team for the second time in his career. In April, Hansen was honored to the All-Big West Men’s golf first team while his teammate, sophomore Ben Corfee, received second-team recognition.

For the outstanding work the UC Davis men’s golf team has done this season, The Aggie chooses men’s golf as the Men’s Team of the Quarter.

JANET ZENG can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.