This week in Senate: May 29, 2014

Vice President Maxwell Kappes presided over the weekly senate meeting on May 29 in the Mee Room. The meeting was called to order at 6:24 p.m.

In the appointments and confirmation section of the meeting, senate approved candidates for Academic Affairs Commission, Picnic Day and Aggie Reuse.

During public announcements, Senator Gareth Smythe announced that the Champagne Committee met to recognize hourly employees and that Budget Hearings would be taking place the next weekend in the Mee Room. Senator Mariah Watson mentioned her petition to start mid-quarter evaluations. Senator Azka Fayyaz announced the Canned Food Castle Competition taking place at the Quad on May 30 to support The Pantry.

Meeting attendees then went to the Candlelight Vigil on the Quad to honor the victims of the UC Santa Barbara shooting.

According to Smythe, it is important that UC Davis gives its response to the tragedy that happened.

“I think it’s wonderful that people have given up their Thursday night to stand in solidarity with our sister UC school,” Smythe said. “I want everyone in Santa Barbara to know know that they’re in our thoughts now and always as we help them heal from this terrible event.”

Campus Copies/Classical Notes Unit Director Sara Okholm addressed her issue of the proposed merger with the Memorial Office Post Office. Okholm expressed her opposition to the change, as she said that it would be too hard on employees. She provided information, such as hours, wages, costs and profits.

Environmental Policy and Planning Commission Chair Naftali Moed felt that it was unfair not to have the Post Office Unit Director present. Watson said that she was glad to be informed about the situation before Budget Hearings. Internal Affairs Commission Chair Spencer McManus said that there was not enough information to make a make a decision at the meeting.

Senate then passed Senate Bill #80.

Senate Bill #80, supported by ASUCD Senate Bill #53, is intended to reorganize Office of Advocacy and Student Representation (OASR). The bill calls for the joining City and Community Relations, University Affairs and Lobby Corps into a single entity.

The meeting adjourned at 11:27 p.m.

— Jasmine Mangabay