UC Davis club sports highlight

Cycling Team:

The UC Davis’ cycling club team has roughly 65 members on the team and the team is divided into two sections. The first is the club level for those who want to have people to ride with, attend group rides and other events, and get access to team sponsorship. The cycling team also has the “race team”. These riders race collegiately in the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference which includes all of California and Western Nevada. The UC Davis cycling club team placed 4th as a team for D1 school at the national championships in May.

Practices are hosted as casual rides everyday at 3:15pm leaving from the bike barn. These rides are open to anyone. It allows people to come and meet team members while learning how to ride in a group. “Race Rides” occur on Tuesdays at 3:15pm leaving the bike barn. This is a 35 mile high intensity group ride that is to simulate racing.
Weekly meetings are held on Tuesday evenings at 7:30pm in Roessler 66. For more information on the UC Davis cycling team, click here.

Judo Club:

UC Davis’ judo team averages about 30 people per quarter and always welcomes new members throughout the year. Their practices are on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8 to 10pm, and Saturday from 8 to 10 am in the Martial Arts Room on the second floor of the ARC.  Practices consist of conditioning, groundwork (pins, chokes, arm bars), then standing fighting.

The morning practices are technique classes, a time to slow down and focus on precision execution of the techniques. To get involved, show up to a practice or send an email at judoucd@gmail.com. No previous experience in Judo or martial arts required to join. About 95 percent of their members started with zero prior experience, many of whom are now State and Collegiate National Champions.

The UC Davis judo team has produced six National Champions, 18 National Collegiate Medalists, and one All-American Athlete in three National Collegiate Championships and is one of the largest collegiate judo programs in the US.

Judo is one of the few sports where blind, visually impaired and sighted players can all compete on equal footing.

Womens’ Soccer Team:

The UC Davis women’s club soccer team competes against the West Coast Soccer League against the likes of Cal Poly, culminating in the NIRSA tournament each year.

The current UC Davis womens’ club soccer team is 2-0. They are counting down the 29 days until Nationals. The first two wins were against Cal and Cal Poly these past two weekends. It is a completely student funded club team, in which they make efforts to buy matching uniforms. Tryouts are usually at the beginning of the year over the course of several days.

For more information on the women’s club soccer club team, check out their website here.