This week in women’s sports

Field Hockey (4-12):

UC Davis @ No. 7 Louisville (L, 3-0)

UC Davis @ Miami University (L, 6-1)

Despite a strong defensive effort from the Aggies, the field hockey team simply lacked the firepower to contend with No. 7 Louisville. The Aggies, who have averaged one goal per game over their last six games, failed to register a point and fell to Louisville despite holding them to three goals. This game marked the third time UC Davis faced a top-10 opponent this season, losing the games by an average of three points.

In their second-to-last game of the regular season, the Aggies scored just one goal as their opponents unleashed 21 shots and found the back of the net six times. Sophomore Kristin Rodgers scored the lone goal, her fifth of the season for the Aggies. UC Davis will face Stanford on Halloween for its last match of the season.

Soccer (5-10-3):

UC Davis @ Hawai’i (W, 2-1)

In what seems like two victories in one, the UC Davis women’s soccer team travelled to Hawai’i and defeated the Rainbow Wahine by a score of 2-1. The Aggies jumped to a lead in the 17th minute on a strike from junior defender Lindsey O’Tousa, but Hawai’i quickly answered with a goal nine minutes later. Before halftime, junior defender Ana Marija Sola added the game-winning score.

The Aggies were able to win despite facing a 5-13 shot deficit, including just one Aggie shot after halftime. Senior goalie Taylor Jern finished with five saves in the game. The Aggies have a week off to rest before facing UC Irvine at home for their last regular season game on Nov. 2.

Tennis:

Saint Mary’s Invitational:

The UC Davis women’s tennis team travelled to the Saint Mary’s Invitational from Oct. 24 to 26, with several players advancing far into their draws. Two Aggies, sophomore Frederique Sleiffer and freshman Lani-Rae Green, fell in the Round of 16 for the ITA White Single draw, while junior Tiffany Pham lost in the semifinals of the consolation draw. In the ITA Blue Single draw, freshman Leilani Tice made it to the quarterfinals.

In doubles play, four Aggies teams made it to the quarterfinals of their respective draws.  The team of freshman Kristy Jorgensen and senior Layla Sanders, as well as Green and Pham, lost in the quarterfinals of their draws, as did sophomore Samantha Martino, who paired with a UC Berkeley player.

Sleiffer and sophomore Kamila Kecki made it all the way to the championship round of the White Doubles draw before falling 8-5 to a pair from San Jose State University.

Volleyball (10-11):

UC Davis @ CSU Northridge (W, 3-2)

UC Davis @ No. 23 Long Beach State (L, 3-1)

Travelling to face the third-ranked team in the Big West on ESPN3, the Aggies dug deep and scored a 3-2 victory over the CSU Northridge Matadors. The two teams traded off sets, with UC Davis coming up big in the final frame for a 15-12 win. Junior Kaylin Squyres, who was recently named the Conference Player of the Week, once again proved her worth by posting a game-high of 22 kills.

The Aggies rode the momentum from the win on ESPN3 into Long Beach State, but were stopped short by a team undefeated in Big West play. UC Davis was able to win the second set of the match 25-17, but couldn’t close out two other close sets.

With the loss, UC Davis is now tied for third place in the Big West and entering a stretch that will see them play six out of their next seven games at home.

Photo by Courtesy