This week in women’s sports

Cross Country:

Big West Championships (1st place)

As she has done multiple times this season, junior Christine Hoffman paced the Aggies as they finished first in Big West Conference Championships. Hoffman ran the six-kilometer course in 20:22.7, a full 27 seconds faster than the second-place Aggie. Three more UC Davis runners finished within the top 10 as sophomore Hannah Kirkegaard, senior Raquel Lambdin and sophomore Clara McLeod finished in sixth, seventh and ninth respectively.

The Aggies are now preparing for the Doc Adams Open to be held in Davis on Saturday.

Field Hockey (4-13):

UC Davis @ No. 3 Stanford

The Aggies finished a disappointing regular season by failing to convert on a comeback bid against third-ranked Stanford. Sophomore forward Kayla Wigney added to her team-leading goal total, scoring in the 64th minute of the game. Meanwhile, freshman goalie Briana Sooy collected a career-high of six saves.

These efforts, however, weren’t enough as Stanford scored the game-winning goal with just 2:17 left in the game. The Aggies were unable to find an equalizer and fell to 4-13 in the regular season.

Soccer (5-11-3):

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (L, 3-0)

In the last home game of the season, the Aggies fell by a score of 3-0 against visiting UC Irvine. At halftime, the game was tied but the Anteaters quickly got on the board in the second half, scoring four minutes into play. Another goal was scored in the 65th minute before an insurance policy ball splashed through the net with just two minutes left in regulation.

Senior goalie Taylor Jern finished the game and her UC Davis career, with four saves giving her 242 in her time as an Aggie. That leaves the senior ranked No. 2 all time in UC Davis history for saves.

Swim & Dive:

UC Davis @ Loyola Marymount (W, 142-111)

UC Davis @ Fresno State (W, 172-128)

The UC Davis swim team competed on back-to-back days, winning both meets handily. Against Loyola Marymount, senior Samantha Shellem and junior Marissa Brown each won two races for the Aggies who finished with eight individual race wins as a team.

Shellem continued her dominance against Fresno State, winning the 200-meter freestyle and the 400-meter individual medley. She also finished in second place in the 500-meter freestyle behind Brown. Sophomore Hilvy Cheung also added two wins in butterfly events. Junior diver Lucy Lafranchise finished in first place in the one-meter dive.

Volleyball (12-11):

UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara (W, 3-2)

UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (W, 3-1)

The Aggies faced a two-game homestand and came away victorious in each. The first game against UC Santa Barbara went five sets before the Aggies were able to claim a victory. Junior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres was phenomenal, finishing with a match-high 24 kills. With the win, UC Davis was able to move to .500 on the season and score victories over UCSB in both meetings.

The second match of the week against rival Cal Poly concluded in four sets as the Aggies dominated throughout. Squyres stole the show once again, again finishing with 24 kills, including 11 in the first set. She helped the Aggies move to a 12-11 record as they faced four out their next five games at home. UC Davis has won all but one game at home this year.

Graphic by Courtesy