This week in women’s sports

Basketball (0-1):

UC Davis vs. UCONN (L, 102-43)

The UC Davis women’s basketball team lost 102-43 against No. 1 ranked UCONN at home on Friday.

In a televised ESPN event, the Aggies shot 30 percent, with senior guard Kelsey Harris and senior forward Sydnee Fipps contributing team-highs of four three-pointers and six rebound shots, respectively. Despite these team-high efforts, UCONN seized the game with quick feet and a high scoring percentage, making a dominant 64 percent of three pointer shots.

Cross Country:

NCAA West Regional at Stanford (11th place)

UC Davis junior Christine Hoffmann led the women’s cross country team to an 11th place finish at the NCAA Cross Country West Regional on Friday. Placing 23rd, with a time of 20:54.4, Hoffman earned all-region honors, becoming the third Aggie in history to receive the award.

Three Aggies joined Hoffman for spots in the top 100. Sophomore Clara MacLeod placed 47th, with a time of 21:20.6. Senior Raquel Lambin and junior Erika Barr took the 67th and 77th spots, with times of 21:38.9 and 21:47.9, respectively.

Swimming:

UC Davis vs. BYU (W, 149-140)

Aggies swam the fastest times in all 14 events against BYU on Saturday at the Schaal Aquatics Center.

Senior Hilary Hunt and freshman Courtney Schultz propelled UC Davis to victory, contributing 18 points each for their wins in the backstroke, 50 free and 100 free events.

Senior Samantha Shellem won the 400 IM with a time of 4:28.58. Sophomore Elise Roberts swam the second-fastest time in the same event, at 4:30.56.

The team travels to Tucson, Ariz. on Friday to race in the Wildcat Diving Invitational.

Volleyball (15-11):

UC Davis vs. CSUF (W; 25-21, 25-16, 25-9)

UC Davis vs. UCI (W; 21-25, 25-21, 25-23, 25-22)

The UC Davis women’s volleyball team won its first game of the week on Nov. 13 against CSUF. Gaining momentum from a first-set win, the Aggies improved on their passing game in the second and third sets to beat CSUF with leads of nine points and 16, points respectively.

Junior Kaylin Squyres led the offensive with 16 major kills. Senior Megan Lancaster and sophomore Allie Wegener kept the defensive strong with 13 and 11 digs, respectively.

Aggie volleyball continued the week with an intense match up against UCI on Saturday.

After losing the first set, the Aggies made a comeback with an early advantage in the second, and pivotal wins during ties in the the third and fourth sets. Junior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres led the Aggies with team-highs of 14 kills, 18 digs and four blocks.

The UC Davis women’s team won both games of the week and now have only three games remaining in the regular season.