7 ways to spice things up in the dining commons

Breakfast and lunch in the DC has never been so easy

Breakfast:

1. Rise and shine with a non-alcoholic mimosadc_fe1

Whoever thought adding some sparkle to your day could be so simple? Fill half a glass with Sierra Mist from the soda machine, then fill the other half with orange juice. Add sugar to taste.

1. Get your breakfast to go with a burrito

Sure, it might not be as great as Taco Bell and it’s definitely no Chipotle, but it’s still a burrito. Grab a tortilla from the gluten-free fridge or ask the chef for one, stuff it with eggs and potatoes and top it off with some salsa. But the real secret is to add some shredded cheese from the salad bar. Just make sure an employee doesn’t catch you stealing a little bit from lunch.

1.  Satisfy your sweet tooth

Bring your own semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate chips to the DC and walk straight to the waffle makers. Pour in the batter, sprinkle in the chocolate chips and then wait three minutes before taking out the waffle. Top with fruit preserves from the row of oatmeal topping bar and some whipped cream from the fridge. Even IHOP will wish they had a waffle as good as yours.

Lunch:

1. Feeling Devilish

Carefully remove the yolk from two hard-boiled eggs and cream together with mayonnaise, mustard, and a little relish from the sandwich station. Season with salt, pepper and plenty of hot chili flakes (the kind you put on your pizza). If you’re feeling a little exotic or in need of extra heat, add in a few drops of Sriracha or Cholula hot sauce. Scoop the mixture back into the egg whites and enjoy a little taste of heaven — or is it hell?

1. BRB with BBQ

If they’re serving up fried chicken in the dining halls, making some barbecue sauce to go with it is far easier than you might think. Mix five spoons ketchup with one spoon of mustard, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper each. Add extra flavor with two or three spoons of hot sauce.

1. Float your own boat (or root beer)

Treat yourself with a little soda float by topping of your glass of any orange soda or root beer with some vanilla frozen yogurt. You could add chocolate or swirl frozen yogurt too, but proceed at your own risk.

1. Get with the trend

Donut chips are a new trend in the gourmet food industry, but it’s possible to make them right in the DC. Grab a doughnut from the dessert table and cut it into slices. Press the slices under a panini maker. Wait until they’re flat and remove carefully before trying!

Photos by Jenna Yonengaga and Eliana Lopez