Davis Art Studio Tour to be held this weekend

Local artists invite public to see their work space

Do you want to immerse yourself in the Davis community and help support local artists? Then you are in luck, because The Artery Gallery in Davis is sponsoring an exhibit of local artists’ work from April 1 to 13.

There will be a gala opening on Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. at The Artery’s located at 207 G St. in downtown Davis. There you can purchase tickets to tour artists’ studios. On Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., local artists will open their workspace to those with Studio Tour tickets. Ticket holders will gain a perspective into the lives of working professionals in the Davis art community.

You can also purchase tickets at each of the studios during touring days. The ticket price includes artist bios and a map of 30 studios. This is a self-guided tour.

In the artist’s workspace, you can watch demonstrations, chat with the artists and purchase locally made art. Ceramicists, print-makers, textile designers, woodworkers, jewelers, painters, photographers and mixed-media artists will open their studios and answer attendee’s art-related questions.

There will be something for everyone: portraits, still-lifes, landscapes, abstract work, contemporary polymer jewelry, traditional stone jewelry, sculptures, mosaics, fish skeleton prints, wood prints and color and black-and-white photography.

UC Davis alumnus Deladier Ameida is an oil painter who will be participating in the open studios.

Ameida, who used to draw cartoons for The California Aggie during his time at UC Davis, expressed why he feels art-related events are important to the Davis community.

“Davis is a small market [for artists] and there is a tendency for artists to reach for larger markets,” Ameida said. “It is important to maintain contact and a link with the community. It’s a valuable aspect to reassert a connection.”

Another featured artist, Thelma Weatherford, is a member of the Radiate Art Collective, located on Third Street.

“We have seven artists represented [in our collective]. There are five studios, a showroom and a classroom that can be used for workshops,” Weatherford said.

Sara Post is one of the co-chairs behind the Davis Art Studio operation. When The Pence Gallery could no longer go forward with the organization of the studio tours, Post and other local artists decided to take over the event.

Post spoke of the “celebratory atmosphere” the people of Davis bring to art and artists.

“It’s so valuable to bring people into a studio. You get to experience the part of art-making nobody sees. Galleries get the finished product, but in an artist’s studio you get the chance to have interesting conversations and exchange ideas with the artist,” Post said.

In order to make these personal connections and gain insight into the lives of Davis artists, you can purchase a Studio Tour ticket for $10 at The Artery April 1 through 13 or directly from an artist.

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.